Being a 24 hour town in Las Vegas and in the midst of the holidays, people get drunk any time of day. Where some people are just finishing the day, others are just getting started. For example, people setting off to work at 7am or 8am while others are getting off the clock. The point is, in Vegas, drinks are being poured all day long. Where Las Vegas offers a night life, the risk of drunk drivers is fairly high throughout the day. Designated drivers, public transportation, and app driving services reduce the irresponsible drinkers on the road, but there are still too many that people should be careful around. Being vigilant and looking for unsafe, inebriated drivers can keep you and others safe. With this in mind, we at Kajioka & Associates, Attorneys at Law would like to take the time to list the common signs there is an intoxicated driver behind the wheel.
Signs of an Impaired Driver
When it comes to guessing if a person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, finding a reason can prove difficult for police. In order to aid law enforcement in determining whether a driver might be drunk behind the wheel, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, or NHTSA, has compiled a list of signs to indicate an intoxicated driver. Avoid getting too close should you spot a drunk driver is essential, but if you do, be sure to take down the license plate and other information and call it in to law enforcement. Following are some of the most common indicators of an intoxicated driver:
2) Poor vigilance
3) Accelerating and decelerating that is unexplainable.
4) Too wide of turn.
7) Straddling lines of a lane.
8) Responding slowly to traffic lights and an officer’s signals.
9) Bad judgment.
10) Obviously impaired.
11) Driving at night without the headlights on.
12) Nearly colliding with a car or fixed object.
13) Inappropriate stopping in the lane.
14) Inability to maintain proper position in the lane.
15) Excessive and improper/ unsafe lane changes.
16) Illegal or improper turning.
17) Going the wrong way on a one-way street.
18) Failure to use a turn signal appropriately.
19) Erratic braking and speeding.
20) Driving off the roadway
21) Driving into the oncoming lane in the wrong direction.
22) Driving excessively fast or slowly. (10mph over or under the posted speed limit)
24) Difficulty stopping.
25) Crossing lane lines.
Criminal Defense, Personal Injury, Business Attorneys & More in Greater Las Vegas, Nevada
Dealing with DUI drivers is a challenge, but when you are the one who made a poor judgment, chose to drive behind the wheel and have been arrested for a DUI in Nevada, you need a lawyer that is experienced and ready to defend you. Kajioka & Associates, Attorneys at Law will review the officer’s reports leading to your arrest, investigate the traffic light and dashboard cameras and more to help you build a strong defense. This is essential to fight the charges against you. Your rights may have been violated if the officer didn’t follow protocol, or if there were no legal reasons as to why you were stopped. Call us today for your consultation.